- 5 Sloane Terrace
- SW1X 9DG
Cadogan Hall is a 900-seat capacity concert hall in Sloane Terrace in Chelsea / Belgravia in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London, United Kingdom. It is two minutes' walk from Sloane Square tube station on the District and Circle lines.
The resident music ensemble at Cadogan Hall is the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO), the first London orchestra to have a permanent home. Cadogan Estates offered the RPO the use of the hall as its principal venue in late 2001. The RPO gave its first concert as the resident ensemble of Cadogan Hall in November 2004. Since 2005, Cadogan Hall has also served as the venue for The Proms' chamber music concerts during Monday lunchtimes. Cadogan Hall hosts Proms Saturday matinees; it is also one of the two main London venues of the Orpheus Sinfonia.
Grade II listed, the building is a former Christian Science church (First Church of Christ, Scientist, London), completed in 1907 to designs in the Byzantine style by architect Robert Fellowes Chisholm, who also designed the Napier Museum in Kerala, India. By 1996, the congregation had diminished dramatically and the building fell into disuse. Mohamed Fayed, the then owner of Harrods, had acquired the property, but Cadogan Estates Ltd (the property company owned by Earl Cadogan, whose ancestors have been the main landowners in Chelsea since the 18th century – the nearby Cadogan Square and Cadogan Place are also named after them) purchased the building in 2000. It was refurbished in 2004 by Paul Davis and Partners architects at a cost of £7.5 million. The changes included new performance lighting and sound systems in the auditorium and redetailing of the ceiling and roof to provide acoustic insulation.